Advance care planning is a process of thinking about and sharing your wishes for future health care. The good news is you don’t need to have all the answers and you don’t have to plan for every possibility!
The kinds of wishes you can consider are:
- Where you want to be cared for and where you want to die
- What matters the most to you near the end of your life
- Who you want to be with you near the end of your life
- Values and religious beliefs that are important to you near the end of your life
- What kind of specific life-prolonging treatments you would prefer to have or not have
Your advance care planning discussions and documents will guide your health care agent and health care team to make decisions that best reflect your wishes, even in situations you may not have thought of. It may not be possible to follow your wishes exactly in every situation, but advance care planning makes sure that your voice is at the center of your health care.